New Zealand's Rugby History
This website is a passion for a rugby follower (and ex player, ex referee & administrator). The cost has been considerable and if anyone out there could help with suggestions as to how to help with future funding to continue to grow the features on the site (especially getting the team & club photos scanned) it would be much appreciated.
This is the story of the people who make this great game of ours so important in every community throughout New Zealand. Instead of a book, this history is made available for you, on this publicly accessible website, so that it can updated after each year's competitions have concluded.
It is a record of every player, coach & referee who has participated in at least one 'first class' game.
Everything on this site dates from 1976, which was the start of the NPC. (Once all the material is up to date we will start recording previous years.)
You can Search for any player, referee or coach. This function even allows you to search by Province or Super 15 Franchise or even by club (for a player).
This history includes the following:
- Details on all Super 18 franchises and all NZ Provincial unions plus the clubs in each Province. This includes their website address, major officials, coaches, team squads and other helpful information, including betting odds from NZ, Australia & Sth Africa.
- The full results of all Players, all All Black games, all Super 18 franchise games ALL UPDATED to 2016, all Provincial games whether they were NPC (now known as the ITM Cup and Heartland Championship) or friendly (non-championship) games between provinces.
These results show whether the game was 'Home' or 'Away', the points scorers & the referee.
- Statistical data for each of the teams.
In the case of the provinces it is separated into NPC championship cup games & non championship games.
This provides a summary - by year - of number of games played, won, lost & drawn; points for & against & averages; and number of tries, conversions, penalties & drop-kicks plus the average per game.
A great way to compare each year against the others.
- An alphabetical list of every All Black who played from 1976 onwards.
- An alphabetical list of every NZ provincial player up to 2016 (now over 14,300) the teams they played for & in what seasons, plus their clubs. Also being recorded is the positions they played, the no of games they played and the points they scored in each season.
- An alphabetical list of every Super rugby player including NZ, Australian & Sth African (over 1,400 players from Sth Africa & Australia) teams showing who they played for & in what seasons plus their international careers (where appropriate).
- An alphabetical list of every NZ referee (over 600) and the "first class" games they officiated including NPC Championship & non Championship, Super Rugby & Internationals.
- An alphabetical list of every coach & their achievements (over 480) & captains of a NZ team, whether it be All Blacks, Super franchise or Provincial team.
- Coming soon from 2017 - the site will include team and clubroom photos.
The author of this history is Kerry Geertson who can be contacted at email@example.com
Acknowledgements: My thanks to the authors of the many NZ Rugby Almanacks which I have been able to use for much of the information, especially to Geoff Miller & Clive Akers. A special mention for the NZ Rugby Register compiled by Clive.
Others that have helped, particularly with names for the players from their areas are:
Lee Ashton from Otago, Grant Hassall from Taranaki, Ray Armstrong from Northland, Doone Harrison from East Coast, John Ham from King Country, Gerald De Castro from Horowhenua Kapiti, Colin Morgan from Mid Canterbury, Terry O'Neill from Nth Otago, Jeremy Sutherland from Sth Canterbury, Hamish Forsman from Waikato, Kelly Plummer from Thames Vly, Matthew McQuilkin from King Country, John Phillips from Wanganui, Gary Hibbard from Wairarapa Bush & John Knowles from Manawatu. Dave Hall from Hamilton has helped with duplications.
Please don't hesitate to tell me if you have an idea for improvement. If it is possible to incorporate your suggestions then I will do it.
If you happen to know the first name of any player, coach or referee that is not currently shown then please let us know, so that the history is complete.